There is no denial that curved TVs are gaining public attention in the recent months since these deliver greater output and quality as compared to flat screens. But there are still both advantages and disadvantages of curved televisions that must be listed so that an individual gets to easily decide whether or not it would be worth it saving money for its purchase. So, let’s begin with pros and then move to cons.
Pros of Curved TVs
1. In-depth view – Most users witnessed this 3D-like view even if it is just the 2D, due to its special design structure. The person watching through curved screens feels as if literally being in that environment.
2. Better contrast – All kinds of flat screens have lower contrast than their curved counterparts. The light coming from the curved TVs is more concentrated onto the viewers’ eyes just as the satellites do with the dishes to strengthen the signal, or a solar cooker that tends to concentrate all the sunlight rays on its focal point so that maximum heat could be gained. This hence enhances the contrast view.
3. Uniform viewing distance – There is always a uniform viewing distance for everybody who sit at the front of this kind of TV. Those who use flat screen televisions know that they cannot see the image if they sit at the sides. This is why at the commercial movie theaters as well the screens are somewhat curved so that those sitting at the sides also get to watch the movie just like others.
4. Stylish looks – Some people simply buy this because of its stylish and cool looks. Since the price is much higher it also gives an impression how rich a person would be, to others who visit his/her house!
Cons of Curved TVs
1. Limited viewing angle – Person sitting at the sides whose viewing angle exceeds 35 degrees is not able to watch the television. Don’t get confused with the ‘uniform viewing distance’ that we just mentioned in the pros part. The difference is if a person physically sits at a specific angle (>35 degrees) he cannot watch the screen. But those who don’t reach beyond that can view nearly clearly all the moving images anywhere they sit.
2. Reflection issues – Usually the light source if placed behind the viewer is a hurdle in both the cases but in case of curve TV it is much more than just a simple issue because it magnifies its size onto the concave shaped television. Therefore, one cannot enjoy watching the video.
3. Requirement to sit in center position – Excellent outputs are only witnessed if someone sits right in the center position and a specific distance is maintained at front. Though there is no significant change but the center is what considered the best.
4. Need to be big in size – Since the curved screens limit the view, it is very essential that big screens are considered for the purchase. Other than that, surveys show that people who bought bigger screens experienced greater outcomes than those who opted for smaller curved screens.
5. Expensive – If someone has a limited budget then buying curved T.V. is not a option at all because such televisions require high bucks to spend. It is not a cost friendly thing at present. Though one cannot say that the price will remain as it is always.
6. Look awkward if hanged – When we talk about flat T.V. screens, there come those models that could get hanged on the wall. For curved ones, it doesn’t appear properly placed, or rather awkward. One has to buy a properly designed T.V. stand as well in order to place the television over it. That would only make sense.